PCSA provides high-calibre player development and playing opportunities at the talented/elite level for children and adults in Peterborough and the surrounding areas. Our vision is fair play and fun in soccer with an emphasis on fulfillment through development.
Younger players in the U6 to U12 divisions focus on developing physical literacy (agility, balance and coordination) while learning the fundamental soccer skills in our popular development program. The older players (U13 and up) hone their technical and tactical skills in the competitive program. Leagues for the older players include teams from Toronto, York, Durham and Peterborough districts. Leagues for younger players up to U12 cover a smaller geographic area.
Practice sessions in the fall (for older teams), winter (indoor), spring (outdoor) and summer are an integral part of the program. The recommended ratio of practices to games is 2:1 or higher. The playing season runs from mid-May to mid-September.
Player development is the responsibility of the Technical Coaching Team comprising Director of Coaching along with up to 8 other Technical Team coaches. These are all paid professional positions, with several of the coaches having a national- or provincial-level coaching licence. Assisting them are approximately sixty volunteer team coaches and assistant coaches, all of whom must have Ontario Soccer coaching certification.
In addition to their regular league and cup games, most teams play in three tournaments during the summer, one of which is the Peterborough Challenge held in June each year. The other two tournaments would likely be out of town.
Although the outdoor playing season runs from mid-May to mid-September, many divisions conduct indoor and outdoor training, development and conditioning sessions over a much longer period.
- Orientation/Tryouts: September;
- Team Selection: First two weeks in October;
- Fall Training (October): U9 – U18 players;
- Indoor Training (November – April): U9 – U18 players & senior teams;
- Summer Program (May – September): U9 – U18 & senior teams;
- Development Program (U6-U8): May – July.
- Laws of the Game (11 v 11)
- Offside Law – new interpretation bulletin and Illustrative examples
- Differences between 9 v 9 and 11 v 11 Games
- Small Sided Laws of the Game (7 v 7)
- Retreat Line (U8 – U12)
- Retreat Line – YouTube Video Presentation
- Grassroots Matrix (2018-2023)
- Grassroots Matrix (U5 – U13) – effective 2024
- OS Grassroots Standards (U4 – U13) – effective 2024